A plan for 3.8/4.0... (insert drumroll here)

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at cableone.net
Sat Apr 3 00:10:02 UTC 2004

Craig Latta wrote:
> Hi Göran and all--
>
>>Yup, you heard it right - with the help of Dan we are entering the
>>land of terabyte images. :)
>
> 	What's the point, exactly? :)  (As a minimalist, I'm required to ask
> this :)
>
> 	Actually, I am interested to know who exactly wants the Itanium port
> and why.

Is there no benefit performance-wise for a native 64bit port?
Naive question, I don't know.

I know I can see differences in 32bit v. 64bit apps when I run my dual
Opteron server either in 32bit AthlonXP Gentoo Linux or in AMD64 Gentoo
Linux.

I know Apache serves ~50%+ better on 64bit on my machine.

>>Just as an icing on the cake Craig is also getting anxious to get a
>>part of the action...
>
> 	Hmm, I've been trying to get people to think about the timing of
> introducing a minimal snapshot for some time. :)  Whatever gets people
> excited is fine with me. :)

What is the timing? I would love a minimal snapshot for a webserver setup.

In general I like the minimal and build up philosophy. I don't necessary
want _everything_ in my squeak any more than I install everything
in/with my OS.

Jimmie Houchin