one-stop Unix VM tarball

Peter William Lount peter at ActiveInfo.CA
Sat Apr 3 15:11:55 UTC 2004

Hi Tim,

I finally got some time to play with this again... I removed the
BerkeleyDbPlugin from the squeak-cvsnap-ned-20030401/src/plugins.ext file
after untaring the package. Then I ran the configure and make. The I ran my
image launch script and presto it works with my 3.7a development image!
Nice!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help guys!

Now I've got to get some bugs fixed in my smalltalk web engine code and the
development of the new Smalltalk.org dev site will take a giant leap forward
by having a version running on the production application server! I'll be
able to continue development on my windows laptop where I work and post new
updates to the production server which is in a server room in downtown
vancouver!

I'll clean up my shell scripts for compiling it and create a new zip that
I'll post so that you'all can compile it for FreeBSD as well. It would be
good to include these scripts or some version of them in a package so that
people can simply type ONE command and have a working system.

It would also be nice to be able to exclude plugins without having to edit
the plugins.ext file... maybe with somesort of remove plugin command line
option?

It really would be best if we can somehow get the official FreeBSD port for
squeak updatable to the latest image... at a moments notice. Installing a
new version should just take someone a port upgrade and then a "make
install" in the ports directory.

Cheers,

Peter