Namespaces (was: Re: [ANN]A plan for 3.8/4.0... (insert drumrollhere))

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Apr 3 19:21:14 UTC 2004

> Well, sure - my point was that I don't want us to move towards a
> namespace world where you always need to explicitly "import" stuff in
> order to "see" them. It hurts. IMHO.

Goran it depends what is the result.
And also the environment could help really there. Now if we would have
to type
everything as in "file based" languages without ide then this can be
painful.
However the main point is the amount of work to do when you change the
name in a
package what is the amount of ripple effect that it generates and I do
not have an answer for
that. We will see and learn that with classboxes.

I was discussing with shri from the DrScheme/Unit environment in Scheme
and
he told me that they had problems with their component model because of
unwanted
propagation. I should really ask him to write something down because we
should learn
from other experiences.

Stef