major gc problem with my recient changes.

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Apr 7 19:22:42 UTC 2004

Alan Grimes <alangrimes at starpower.net> wrote:

> The code works but causes, on my image processor code, no fewer than
> 10^6 incremental garbage collects! (no exageration!)
>
> I _THINK_ this is happening in the largeIntegersPlugin (putting self
> halt. after the call to said primative in the places I think it is being
> used does not trigger any debug boxes).
LargeInt arithmetic creates lots of objects; consider that any
operation that returns a result which is not one of the input objects
will have to instantiate a new LargeInt. Do that 4000 times and you'll
get an incremental GC. To alter this number, take a look at the
vmParameters method(s).

tim
If only people came with pull-down menus and online help.