Squeak on FreeBSD

Chris Burkert chris at chrisburkert.de
Thu Apr 8 07:22:00 UTC 2004

Hi,

again ... this is *not* my work! The most work was done by Ian, Ned and
others! I have just written a new Makefile to integrate the new stuff
into the FreeBSD ports tree.

Also it was a little bit too early to speak about it at squeak-dev!

Peter William Lount wrote:

> I've installed and tested the new squeak vm 3.6-3 test "freebsd" port that
> you provided in your email. It works great! I'd say release it to the
> FreeBSD.org web site as a new port version (if you think it's ready)! It
> would be great to call it "squeak363" rather than "squeak3". Many of the
> freebsd ports have multiple named port versions (i.e. Perl).

I wont hurry.

> It also runs very well with my 3.7a-5816 smalltalk.org development and
> production image.
>
> I tried out the "inisqueak" script for the first time and like it, although
> it would be nice if it also looked for image, changes and sources files in
> the present working directory (pwd) as well as the /usr/local/share/squeak
> directory. Just a nice add on so that you don't have to put all the images
> in the share directory! Might not want to share them but still want to see
> them in the selection menu.... very minor enhancement.

It would be great to check the ftp mirrors.

> It's by far the best unix port yet!

and thus you have to thank Ian and Ned! Not me!

> What kind of and amount of work is involved in keeping it upto date with the
> latest unix vm upgrades?

I will keep it up to date for every new release!

> oh, I didn't find the listening to one ip address socket stuff in it though.
> Maybe you could point me at the class?

ask Ian.

Regards
            Chris Burkert