[KCP][FIX] KCP-0220-ClassOrganizerFixAndCleanup.8.cs

Nathanael Schärli n.schaerli at gmx.net
Thu Apr 8 10:31:55 UTC 2004

Hi Doug,

> Yes, this seems to work as long as I don't have any browser windows
> open. :-)  Actually, maybe a do-it should be added to the
> preamble which
> closes all open browser windows, because this will probably
> bite a lot
> of people.  (We could even have an inform: window which warns
> about this
> ahead of time.)

That is a good idea. I modfified my changeset accordingly and attached
it to this email.

> As to whether this "fix" should go in 3.7beta or wait until 3.8alpha,
> that's hard to say.  Possibly it could go in 3.7beta if we
> made it close
> browser windows, etc.  It seems like a big enough change that
> we might
> want to wait until 3.8alpha though, if it's not too urgent.
> On the plus
> side, Dan has been talking about an accelerated schedule for 3.8
> (June/July for 3.8final), so if it were to wait for 3.8, you wouldn't
> have to wait *too* long.

I'm torn as well. On one hand, it would be good to have it in 3.7beta
because it fixes some bugs in the SystemChangeNotification framework and
with the drag'n'drop. However, these are all minor things and most
programmers will never run into them.

Also, this changeset is quite big and so there is definitely a potential
that it breaks some other things. (Well, I have tested it quite
extensively, but I can't give a guarantee). Therefore, I can totally
understand that it is too big of a risk to introduce it so late in the
beta cycle.

For me, the most important thing is that this changeset gets
incoprorated before the code gets "out of date" (i.e., there is new code
modifying the same methods that are part of this changeset). But since
this changeset mainly affects kernel methods, it should be fine if we
wait until 3.8alpha.

Nathanael