Interrupt key not stopping infinte loops?

Peter William Lount peter at ActiveInfo.CA
Sat Apr 10 23:10:14 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm using squeak 3.7a-5816 on windows and unix. I ran into an infinite loop bug with some network/graph code and my image "froze" and was using up all the cpu cycles.

This web page, http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/899 , describes the Squeak Interrupt key to stop run away squeak images. http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2168 is also helpful.

When the image is idle pressing "alt-dot" brings up a debugger on a "user interrupt" exception. So obviously my image is properly handling these "alt-dot" commands some of the time (and likely all the time).

As a test case I tried the following do it:

[true] whileTrue: [].

The image dutifully exectued this and became unresponsive to any attempts to interrupt it with "alt-dot".

Can anyone explain what is going on? Why can't I interrupt run away loops? Is there anything that I can do to ensure that I can get in there and debug or stop these loops?

Cheers,

peter