Squeak, Databases and large amounts of objects

Chris Burkert chris at chrisburkert.de
Mon Apr 12 15:40:52 UTC 2004

Hi Squeakers,

I want to use squeak for a GIS (GeoInformationSystem) and I like to know
which DBS (DataBaseSystem) would you prefer for storing large amounts of
objects (many GigaByte).

I have several goals:
- keep the footprint of the image small
- separate image and (data-)objects
   -> I even want to put image and DBS on different computers
- keep the objects, even after a crash
   -> backups
- allow access by multiple users over a secure path
   -> transactions, authentication and authorization, SSL or equal
- don't pay money for a DBS
   -> this should be a free project

I have looked at the DBSs at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/512 and
I have the imppression that all the DBSs, that are free, stable and
supported, fail in one of the goals above.

The most promising for this task seems to be Magma ... what do you think?

thanks for any hint

all the best
            Chris Burkert
--