Squeak, Databases and large amounts of objects

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Mon Apr 12 19:39:03 UTC 2004

Hi Chris

I don't have an answer but beside Magma I suggest you to also have a closer
look at Postgres and GOODS (for which we have clients in Squeak).

Interesting might be Postgis, http://postgis.refractions.net/, an add on to
Postgres, implementing  a geographic datatype with R-Tree indicices for
contained-in selects...

GOODS: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3492

I don't know the GIS domain but probably one more important item in your
list is how fast you can access and search your data. OODBMS such as Magma
or GOODS may perform much worse than Postgres (with domain specific
enhancements like Postgis) for searches. On the other hand, with OODBs you
don't have to deal with mapping data between two different worlds.

Cheers,
Adrian