Squeak, Databases and large amounts of objects

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Mon Apr 12 20:16:55 UTC 2004

Adrian Lienhard <adi at netstyle.ch> said:
>I don't have an answer but beside Magma I suggest you to also have a closer
>look at Postgres and GOODS (for which we have clients in Squeak).

Yup - my first inclination would be MySQL or Postgres with ROE to access
stuff. Maybe both an OODB and an RDBMS - our 444.NET search engine for
example has all the raw bulk search engine data in MySQL (using MySQL's
full-text indexing for the searching), and all the complex domain data
like customers, subscriptions, etcetera in OmniBase.

The stuff we put into MySQL is so simple that we haven't looked at
complex O/R mapping stuff, just handcrafted queries.

(and as the search engine current traffic ranks in the top 2,000 at Alexa,
I'm glad I've "outsourced" search optimization to the MySQL folk ;-))

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,