[BUG] SM updates won't load

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Apr 12 20:21:09 UTC 2004

Hi Guys,

I was just trying to load something from SM but got a nil DNU: #nextPutAll:.
Tracking this problem led to SMSqueakMap>>saveCheckpoint:
contentWithFilename which does a few rather weird things I don't quite
understand. Apparently it searches in the last fifteen characters of
"contentWithFilename" (which seems to be compressed binary data) for a colon
and interprets everything after it as a file name. However, it seems like
what I'm getting here has multiple colons in the last fifteen characters of
the aforementioned contentWithFilename - if I ask for

    contentWithFilename last: 15.

I get

     ':??::map.586.sgz'

(the question marks stand for some other obscure binary characters) which
further down the line leads to an attempt to create an utterly invalid file
name on Windows including both binary characters as well as the colon and
finally failing with the error stated above since the file couldn't be
created.

Any ideas how to work around this problem? Or even better, how to fix it for
real? There is no guarantee at all that compressed binary data cannot
contain colons and so the code seems to be rather fragile. FWIW, the above
occurs in both 3.6 and 3.7 images.

Thanks,
  - Andreas