Type inference engines ?

Romain Robbes rrobbes at info.unicaen.fr
Tue Apr 13 12:42:57 UTC 2004

Hi all,

	What are the various type inference engine available ? It would be
cool to have one
of them easily available.

Right now I can think of :
-RefactoryTyper, which I'd like to know how to use easily (It seems to
need an Environment object). Could Daniel or Marcus tell me more about
it ?
-I saw on Lex Spoon's page that he have done one too, is it easily
usable ?
-There's one with the Morphic Wrappers/ MathMorphs (same question ...)
-Whisker is able to find types of instance variables based on the
runtime types of the instances of a class I believe.
-Avi had some sketches of type inference in his blog IIRC, using some
kind of proxy catching messages sent to an object, and analysing
arguments and return types before and after forwarding the message to
the real object. I'd like to do something similar based on unit tests
defined for a class (ie running the tests, but giving proxies rather
than real objects)

So with all these approaches, having a good type inferencer seems
possible.
What are your thoughts ?

Cheers,
	Romain