A little namespace "proposal"

Russell Penney russell.penney at tincanct.com
Tue Apr 13 13:37:43 UTC 2004

Goran,
   I have agonised about whether I should make a comment or not about this
chain of emails, this one pushed me over the edge. Sorry if I sound rude, I
am a fairly blunt person (with a very weird sense of humour).

Don't slap someone down because they disagree with you. Your way is NOT
always the right way (it might be sometimes).

>- No source is changing "under your feet" in my proposal. The source (as
>kept in memory, as saved in changelog, as filed out etc) etcALWAYS has
>the qualified names in it. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. Ok?

Check your email on Tue Apr 6 18:40:55 CEST 2004 (ripped straight out of the
squeak mailing list so I have NO idea what timezone that is) which was
directed mainly at Roel's initial comments where you say:

>The idea is to allow the short form if there is no ambiguity in the
>image. And expand it to the qualified form if there suddenly is. So this
>means that source will "change" under our feet. :) But hey - this is
>Squeak and we can do that, can't we?

So which is it? And Colin was right to put that in his email, yes? I got the
impression that the code would "change".

>- There is no "clutter" of qualified names since the source is
>"rendered" as "qualified enough". And given that 99% of the classes in a
>given image are named uniquely they render JUST LIKE TODAY.

Then why do we need it? To solve the 1% of problems? There are other ways to
handle this (EXAMPLE ONLY: every class has a UUID so the name actually means
nothing or even just prefix the class names with an identifier which is what
I do).

I will say it, your proposal sucks but don't feel bad because so do all the
others that people have come up with.
Why do they suck? Because *I* don't have a problem with namespaces :) and
99% of Squeak doesn't either.

Now I am dirt ignorant (but I haven't married my cousin yet) and don't
really write packages but I don't want a Smalltalk that is hard to use (and
I know your proposal is easy to add and easy to use) or cluttered with stuff
because other languages have it or it is cool (Traits being put in the main
code makes me very nervous).

If it ain't broke don't fix it...fix some of the stuff that IS broken.
Russell