Source code or bytecode? (was Re: A little namespace "proposal")

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Apr 13 21:23:11 UTC 2004

On Apr 13, 2004, at 2:15 PM, Colin Putney wrote:

> What I dislike about Goran's proposal is that it introduces more new
> opportunities for divergence between what was compiled and what will
> now
> compile to the same bytecode. What's worse, this divergence will occur
> as a
> side effect of actions not directly related to namespaces.

I don't think that's true, at least not as I understand the proposal.
The context is bidirectional: yes, you can change the context of the
browser so that the same string will resolve to a different class.
However, that browser will automatically update all the source it
displays so that it's consistent with the new context: it never shows
the original string that was typed in, but a string that will resolve
to the same fully qualified name in the current context.  So I don't
see where the divergence comes in.

Avi