A little namespace "proposal"

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Wed Apr 14 22:43:22 UTC 2004

Am 15.04.2004 um 01:23 schrieb goran.krampe at bluefish.se:

> 	(Smalltalk at: #Fruits::Apple) == ((Smalltalk at: #Fruits) at: #Apple)
>
> The left hand shows that SystemDictionary has some "compatibility
> behaviour" making it seem as if the qualified names are all accessible
> "flat" in Smalltalk, which they aren't. It will do a two step lookup
> like the right hand shows.
>
> 	((Smalltalk at: #Fruits) at: #Apple) == Fruits::Apple
>
> Here the right hand shows that Scanner/Parser has been augmented to
> properly handle qualified names (with a little help from Andreas).

Does that mean I can not enumerate all classes in the system by looking
at the entries in Smalltalk? What about the invariant

	(Smalltalk at: aClass name) == aClass

If this does not hold, many tools would have to be made
namespace-aware. This can be elegantly avoided when using the
fully-qualified name as actual class name. I thought your original
proposal did this?

- Bert -