[Q] Solaris VM: Bus error crash after resizing the squeak-window

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Apr 15 10:34:58 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 11:17:52AM +0200, Markus Gaelli wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> our sys-admin just installed the latest Squeak 3.6 from
> http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak for the solaris computers of
> our student-pool here in Berne.
> (I cannot resist to show my Java learning students some fancy
> Smalltalk-stuff :-)
>
> He is testing it remotely via X-Windows and gets a bus-error and the vm
> crashes as soon he resizes the squeak window, either manually or by
> "escape browser".
> Any ideas here?

This is a rediculous suggestion, but I'll make it anyway: Try opening
the image, saving it, exiting the VM, and starting again. Then see if
resizing works. I dimly recall that (maybe about a year or so ago)
there was some combination of the VM and image that was exhibiting
similar symptoms on my Linux box. Sorry I can't recall the root cause
or the fix, but maybe this will help in your case.

> What "dump" could I send which would reveal some problems?

If you are able to run your VM under a debugger, that may provide
some clues.

Dave