A little namespace "proposal"

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Apr 15 11:50:52 UTC 2004

> Hi, Stef -
>
> Thanks for the concrete example.
>
> Does the first line declare the following imports as part of a
> namespace named 'Tweak', or are we creating an as-yet-unnamed
> namespace  by sending a message to a global object Tweak (like
> Smalltalk)?  If the former, the I was expecting something easier to
> execute (ie receiver doesn't start out undefined) like
> 	Namespace new named: 'Tweak'

I meant that of course...(I should cut my fingers instead of typing too
fast and wrong)

Namespace new named: 'Tweak'
	import: hjhkjh from: lkjkljlk

> If I were writing myWonderfulMethod and accepting it for the first
> time, would the programmer's assistant offer up a menu like...
>
> "Scheduler is not defined in this namespace..."
> 	|  import from Kernel
> 	|  import from NewSchedTest
> 	|  ----------------------
> 	|  declare local
> 	|  declare global
> 	|  leave undeclared
>
> If so it would be fairly consistent with what we have now.

Sure it should. This would be just adding a new entry in the import.
This is exactly what we have
with global.

Note that with this view I do not have to worry in the code of the
presence of other namespaces.
So that's why I said that the world is flat.

Stef