To-do list for 3.8 (was Re: AW: TFNR - What happened?)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Thu Apr 15 19:04:32 UTC 2004

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>Well, we have arrived at a few good subresults - but I lost some of my
>steam in pushing it to the end.
>
>I did say that I would step down as a Guide if that happened :) but I
>still haven't given up on it all - I just got bogged down in SM, some
>adaption of Adam's cleanup.sar and generally the rest of my life :) and
>it all ended up stalling.

I can definitely sympathize with biting off more than one can chew...
now you have the namespace stuff going, too. :-)

>In short - I would gladly appreciate help in pulling TFNR all the way
>through. The next step is IMHO roughly to get the PI partitioning of the
>Basic image into the stream and then when that is done, start getting
>all those pieces assigned to the maintainers that volunteered.

That would be great.  Getting the PI (PackageInfo) partitioning in the
basic image would be a huge step forward.  I assume it would just be a
preliminary partitioning, and we wouldn't guarantee that the more "root"
partitions would actually work on their own.  (If they did, that means
the hard part (detangling) would be done!)  But even having a
preliminary partitioning would let us start working on detangling
Morphic etc. in earnest.

I suppose we could put the PI partitioning on the "to-do" list for 3.8,
if that would help us in making sure it happens.

Of course, there's a number of large things that people have possibly
planned for 3.8, which may make it tricky to reach a dual 3.8/4.0
release date around June/July:

- The 64-bit project.  (Part of 4.0, not 3.8, but will be worked on in
parallel with 3.8 and released at the same time.)
- m17n
- A prerequisite scheme for SqueakMap packages (such as Goran's
"configurations", or something else) ?
- Namespaces?
- PI partitioning of the basic image
- Romain's Services framework seems like a good thing to
discuss/incorporate. (this won't be as disruptive as some of the other
things)
- probably other things that I'm forgetting

I can put this list as a starter "To-do list for 3.8" on the swiki soon,
once it's fleshed out a bit.

- Doug