[GOODIE] Namespaces-gk

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri Apr 16 08:24:57 UTC 2004

Am 15.04.2004 um 20:57 schrieb Avi Bryant:

> On Apr 15, 2004, at 6:13 AM, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>
>> IMHO it is pretty damn hard to make it any simpler than this.
>
> So, looking through the code, one thing that strikes me as overly
> complicated is all the various modifications around renaming.

Yep, and I think we can do still simpler in other places, too.

For example: How about creating namespaces on the fly? This would mimic
the behavior of PackageInfo. Such a lightweight Namespace would know
nothing about itself but its name. If I create a  "Namespace named:
#Whatever" and ask it for its bindings, it just looks into Smalltalk
and selects all matching associations. Of course, one could then create
specialized Namespaces, just like some people create specialized
PackageInfos, but the system works fine without them.

Also, I thought namespaces should mostly be invisible in Göran's World
;-) So, the class-template where now some namespace is magically chosen
could actually just show an unqualified name. Otherwise, we have to
rewrite every Fine Manual that shows how to create a class ...

> Very neat to see this all working, though.

Indeed :)

- Bert -