FileDirectory>>fileExists: (was: Re: [BUG]Unable to load BFAV, various problems )

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Apr 16 21:49:03 UTC 2004

Hi Guys,

> fileExists: as implemented in the image is surprisingly naïve -
> I guess to make it work cross-platform?   And by naïve, I mean *slow*.
> This really negatively affected BFAV performance.
>
> I have to say, I don't see how quickerFileExists: (with your fixes, Frank)
> could hurt anybody..

Say, if you really worry about performance here, have you considered
proposing an [ENH] which captures the primitive? If I'd have this problem
and no clear-cut cross-platform solution I'd rather make it a primitive and
rely on the platform maintainers to implement it "the next time around"
rather than messing with things like #quickerFileExists: #slowFileExists:
and similar nonsense. There is no reason why we can't define #fileExists: in
one way or another and if you have an urgent need to get this problem
adressed, the best way to deal with it is to throw in a spec (e.g., write
some unit tests) which your "expected and slow" implementation adheres to
and rely on the maintainers to provide appropriate low-level
implementations.

Cheers,
  - Andreas