notes from Squeak presentation to local Smalltalk user group

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Apr 18 10:59:30 UTC 2004

Hi yanni

have you look at my ready to use images? I'm about to rebuild them.
In the near I will try to finish an extension of the
externalThreadNavigator
so that we can edit a demo based on a group of projects and a list of
project names.
I will post it when this is working. This way we could exchange demo,
edit them, load them automatically...

On 18 avr. 04, at 01:14, Yanni Chiu wrote:

> Here are the notes I used for a presentation to
> the local Smalltalk user group. Feel free to comment,
> or to point out errors or omissions, in case there's
> a next time.
>
> The notes were opened in a file workspace, and the
> font set to 36pt ComicSansMS (because it was the
> narrowest font). I had a few projects set up with
> some demos, using the 3.7 beta image.
>
> The turnout was much lower than I expected.
> I guess die-hard Smalltalkers are not necessarily
> keen Squeakers. There was a non-Smalltalker who
> showed up - so some hope for the future.

I see that this is important to show squeak to first class students
before they got narrow minded by other languages.
:)

Thanks for the rest I fixed some data below

> --yanni
> Squeak
>
> Toronto Smalltalk User Group
> Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 6:30 p.m.
> Yanni Chiu (email: yanni at rogers.com)
>

> I. Squeak Overview
>
> - it's a Smalltalk
> - history, timeline, roadmap
> - communities
> - resources
>
> II. Developing Applications Using Squeak
>
> - code versioning system
>   - change sets, file-in/out
>   - Monticello
>
> - GUI Widgets
>
> - web-based application server
>   - Comanche/KomHttpServer
>   - swiki, SmallWiki
>   - Seaside, HttpView2, Mewa
>
> - modelling tools
>   - Jacaranda/Connectors - UML diagram tool
>
> - Panda - new tool

What is panda?

> PART I - Squeak Overview
>

> It's a Smalltalk
> - system transcript, class browser, workspace, inspector, file browser
method finder is really cool to show.

SmallWiki look at www.esug.org

>   Scamper (web browser) - not very complete
>   Comanche/KomHttpServer -load from SqueakMap
> - ANSI Compatibility
> - OODB: Magma, MinneStore, OMNIBase, GOODS client, GemSqueak?
> - RDB: PostgreSQL (3 clients), MySql driver, ODBC driver, SQLite
> - other DB: Berkeley DB plugin, Glorp, ROE
>

> History
>
> - Smalltalk-72/76/80, Apple Smalltalk (c. 1985)
> - prior to first Squeak release - see "Back to the Future"
> - late 1996: Apple to Disney
> - June 2001: SqueakCentral leaves disney
> - ViewPoints Research (1 stays at Disney? the Morphic guy? John
> Maloney?)
> - Nov. 26 2002: Alan Kay now at HP, seems to be working on Croquet
>

> Timeline (from ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/Smalltalk/Squeak/)
>
>   1.1/Squeak1.1.zip		Jul 07 1997
>   1.13/1.13.tar.gz		Nov 21 1996
>   1.16/1.16.tar.gz		Nov 21 1996
>   1.17/1.17.tar.gz		May 20 1997
>   1.18/1.18.tar.gz		May 20 1997
>   1.19/1.19d.tar.gz		Oct 01 1997
>   1.20/WinSqueak120.zip		Jun 30 1997
>   1.21/FileIn-1.21-di.cs	Jul 17 1997
>   1.22/1.22.tar.gz		Jan 17 1998
>   1.23/1.23.tar.gz		Jan 17 1998
>   1.3/1.3.tar.gz		May 26 1998 (Jitter1.3)
>   1.31/Squeak1.31.zip		Feb 10 1998
>   2.0/Squeak2.0.sea.bin		May 23 1998
>   2.1/Squeak21.exe		Aug 19 1998
>   2.2/Squeak2.2.sea.bin		Sep 24 1998
>   2.3/Squeak2.3.sea.bin		Jan 15 1999 (Jitter-2)
>   2.4/Squeak2.4b.sea.bin	Apr 23 1999
>   2.5/Squeak2.5-mac.sea.bin	Sep 20 1999
>   2.6/Squeak2.6.sea.bin		Oct 16 1999
>   2.7/Squeak2.7.sea.bin		Jan 05 2000
>
>   2.8/Squeak2.8.sea.bin		Aug 19 2000
>     (Mac, BeOS, Sparc, Alpha, i686, PPC, MIIPS, Linux, Debian,
> BrowserPlugins)
>
>   3.0/Squeak3.0-3552-MacOS-full.sit	Jun 26 2000
>     (MacOSX, WinCE, OS/2, IPaq/ARM, MPEG, Genie)
>
>   3.1 -- not on this server, but I have something called 3.1 on my disk
>
>   3.2/Squeak3.2-4956-MacOS-Full.sit	Oct 28 2002
>
>   3.3alpha/Squeak3.3a-4981.zip	Oct 04 2002 (ill-fated modules)
>
>   3.4/Squeak3.4-5170-MacOS-Full.sit	Mar 04 2003
>     (first Squeak Community release -- i.e. non-Apple and non-Disney
> release)
>
>   3.5/Squeak3.5-5180.zip	Apr 11 2003
>     (Mac, Unix-Linux, Win -- get other VM's elsewhere)
>
>   3.6/Squeak3.6-5424-basic.zip	Oct 05 2003
>
>   3.7alpha/Squeak3.7a-5816.zip	Mar 09 2004
>   3.7beta/Squeak3.7b-5878.zip	Apr 05 2004
>
>   N.B. update number is the suffix for image release name.
>
>   The VM is maintained by various people (Win,Mac,*nix,PDAs).
>

> Defunct
>
> - Interval Pad (by Interval Research)
>   - internet appliance
>   - VMMaker, machine code compiler, web browser?

Exobox

> - Squeak World Tour (a.k.a. SWT/StableSqueak)
>   - swt0.1 on June 1, 2001 was first and only release
>   - "fork", developed "by invitation"
>   - XML spec for GUI, with builder for MVC and Morphic
>
> - Squeak 3.3 modules
>   - community resistance (stayed with 3.2)
>   - the modules changes required a leap
>   - maybe the loss of SqueakCentral (i.e. Disney) was disruptive
No this was tooooo complex to understand the model

> - Squeak Foundation
>   - would play a role like SqueakCentral
>   - a financial structure to accept donations
>   - stalled/dead?
>

> Roadmap
>
> - continue spliting image into: Minimal, Basic, Full
> - package dependencies handled by SqueakMap
> - 3.8/4.0 - 64-bit port, new image format, m17n, full closures
> - Croquet, Tweak, TeaTime
>

> Communities
>
> "Deep Squeakers"
>   - guides
>   - BFAV [BUG] [FIX] [ENH] [GOODIE]
>   - review process, harvesting party
>   - squeak-dev mailing list is where discussion ensues
>   - over 1000 registered on squeak-dev
>
> "Casual Squeakers"
>   - SqueakLand, Etoys
>   - media authoring tool, schools & education
>
> - Small-Land
>   - education in a province of Spain
>   - 8000 Linux PCs with Squeak
80000 diego told me this is 80.000 PC