[GOODIE] grid layout

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 20 15:56:58 UTC 2004

"ALR" <alr.dev at free.fr> wrote:
> I would say that although Tablelayout and gridlayout look similar they are
> quite different : the
> Table layout is a unidirectional layout where you nest and size morphs
> to multiple levels to achieve some columns/rows  alignment, the Grid layout
> is a bidirectional layout where you place and size components in a grid.

Mmm, you can actually do 2-D tables with a single table layout, by using
wrapping.  But I think I see what you are getting at.

> Perhaps you can do the same things that you do with the TableLayout by
> nesting several morphs, but for example when some components span multiple
> rows and columns and other do not, nesting 3 or 4 morphs for one field with
> #fixed/#spaceFill/#shrinkWrap is not really pleasant, it is really very
> simple with GridLayout.
>
> If you try to do some data entry form with multiple fields, labels, buttons,
> then I think you will finally enjoy this simple layout.

Okay.  Well easy grid layouts sounds like a great thing to have around,
so long as it is not duplicating what's already there.  I don't have
time to actually try it out right now, though--I am just reading a few
emails this morning before starting on the work I am supposed to be
doing.

-Lex