the passing of IBM's David N. Smith

Brad Peterson btp at rogers.com
Tue Apr 20 19:12:49 UTC 2004

Wow, I am truly sorry to hear this news.

I didn't know David personally, but he directly influenced my development as a Smalltalker.  When I first began Smalltalk in 1996 and was struggling with a problem, David responded to my question on the newsgroup (where at the time nobody else seemed to have the answer).  He really boosted my confidence in the community, and I really grew into Smalltalk after that.  I subsequently got to know the language and still try to do my bit where possible.  Smalltalk still has a huge impact on my way of thinking about software, and I really appreciated that response!

It says something about a person when they can answer the little guys' simple questions as well as the big, deep thought ones.  I'll always remember that little gesture fondly.

Brad