Subject: Re: how to debug socket use

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Apr 21 09:34:36 UTC 2004

Hi!

Richard Staehli <rastaehli at mac.com> wrote:
> Göran wrote:
> > Oh, yeah and btw, you should use SocketStream - no need to be messing
> > around at the Socket layer anymore IMHO.
>
> This was a great help, once I updated from 3.6 to 3.7.  Perhaps the 3.6
> stuff was just buggy for my purpose.

The first incarnation of SocketStream was in Comanche, but the one in
3.7 is a rewrite of it from Michael Rueger.
Later versions of Comanche, currently named KomHttpServer uses the one
now in 3.7.

> I'm still learning about the new stuff: SocketStream and the Server
> classes.  It appears that SocketStream is not a substitute for Socket
> in that you can't "listen" on a SocketStream.  Also, SocketStream does
> not support #store, #skipTo: and other protocol assumed by Smalltalk
> serialization code.  I'm not sure whether to code around this or extend
> SocketStream.

I would probably look into extending SocketStream since it IMHO should
be able to work as a Stream as much as possible.
Just my gut feeling. And since it is pretty new it can surely be missing
things.

For making servers, promise me to take a look at KomHttpServer - there
is a lot of good stuff in there! :)

> > regards, Göran
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Richard