some thoughts related to seaside marketing

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Apr 21 08:59:58 UTC 2004

On Apr 21, 2004, at 1:22 AM, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> - My boss was thinking that seaside could be a killer app for
> smalltalk but there are still some stuff to do :)

As always. :)

> - I already pointed the web site. where is www.seaside.org? with a
> cool look?

Well, that particular domain is already taken :).  But maybe we should
try setting up a SmallWiki site, as you did for ESUG, and see where
that goes.  If someone sets this up I'll do the work of migrating what
info is already around to it, and we can build out from there.

The cool look I can't help with...

> - class comments and small examples (your tutorials are a good start
> but then). we are trying to
> push a PhP guy to use seaside and he told me that there is no doc and
> he is nearly right.

Yes, class comments would be good.  I do plan to go through soon and
add them (it's been a long time since I last did so).

> - Having a small tutorial or cookbook, "building your own shop using
> seaside" targeted for PhP programmers is important. One french editor
> said that their sells in PhP books did not drop while all the other
> drops the last two years.

I'll be starting some work for a client soon that involves building
some generic support for online stores - stuff like PayPal integration.
  So maybe that can turn into such a tutorial in the long run.

> So I'm sure that you do not have the time to do that BUT you are the
> leaders so point to the right direction and ask for help. I'm sure
> good soul will help.

Sure, and thanks for the nudge.  Here's something the community could
help with: if anyone wants to round up some examples that are used for
other frameworks and implement them in Seaside, I'll start a
'Seaside-Contributed Examples' and include them in the package.  I
suggest this in particular because it serves a dual purpose: first, to
provide example code to newbies, with easy comparison to other systems.
  Second, the more example code I have access to (particularly code
written by others), the better I can refactor and fine-tune the
underlying framework.

Anyone up for it?

Avi