Pending mac Carbon VM Squeak 3.7.3Beta4.app

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Apr 22 06:02:15 UTC 2004

I was about to finalize 3.7.3b3, but then got a note from Tetsuya
HAYASHI <tetha at st.rim.or.jp>

"I notice my patch has a problem about MacRoman special characters when
using with Info.plist in "macintosh" encoding (not in "UTF-8"). It's a
severe issue I feel.

For example, folders are often named with a letter such like 'TM' or
'f' or '...' until OS9 (I think it's not popular in MacOSX). My patches
use API CFStringNormalize() without checking gCurrentVMEncoding, it
causes a failure to launch an image when such MacRoman special
characters are in a path name.

This issue would be fixed by inserting a check statement
	if (gCurrentVMEncoding == kCFStringEncodingUTF8)
before call CFStringNormalize().
"

Thus with a bit of free time tonight I've fixed that. Please note that
I've not personally tested it yet.
However please find an early release at http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/

Squeak 3.7.3Beta4.app.sit

I would be delighted if folks can confirm this issue is fixed, and
===