[ANN] Help us pushing Smalltalk

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Apr 23 11:04:01 UTC 2004

Hi, this is a simple call for help in pushing Smalltalk.

ESUG is organizing a conference every year.  This year the conference
will be at Anhalt University in Koethen, Germany September 6-10. See
the call below

If you want to help Smalltalk: SPONSOR us! To sponsor you can
- JUST attend and enjoy the conference: http://www.esug.org/
- be a first class sponsor such as http://www.exept.de,
http://www.cincom.com,
http://www.eranova.si, http://www.heeg.de, http://www.bedarra.com,
http://www.jfa.com

Now you may wonder what we are doing and why you would give us money!
We are doing a lot of actions to promote our favorite language. Much
more than certain other group ;). ESUG is doing a lot for Smalltalk!

- Our new web site is entirely made in Smalltalk: It is SmallWiki a new
wiki implementation
	http://kilana.unibe.ch:9090/smallwiki/

- Organizing a great conference around Smalltalk.
        Ask people that have been there. They will tell you that ESUG
is a source of energy for Smalltalk.

- Bringing new blood in the community:
	Since two years ESUG  have student volunteers. These are students that
are interested in 	Smalltalk. Coming to the conference is the best way
for them to see the technology from
	their own point of view (without a teacher telling them). We would
like to thank the slovenian 	companies among which
http://www.eranova.si  that sponsor the travel of some rumanian
	students. So if you want to see young blood in Smalltalk this is the
way to do it!

- Sending books and cds to universities worldwide. A list of
universities is at:
	http://www.esug.org/promotionactions/selecteduniversities/

- Creating and distributing the ESUG CD
	http://www.ira.uka.de/~marcus/EsugcD.html

- Present tutorials supporting Smalltalk  in education forums and
open-source conferences

- Helping local groups help themselves and grow. ESUG sponsored the
Squeak german association
	http://www.squeak.de/

- Collecting the free smalltalk books:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html.

We are individuals like you that like Smalltalk.  Although we are all
volunteers, we need some money to organize the ESUG activities listed.
If you like this effort please send us your contribution to help us
continue.

Sincerely,

The ESUG Board

Call for contributions for the ESUG 12th International Joint Event
--------------------
                      Call for contributions for the
                      ESUG 12th Internatioanl Joint event
                      6-10 september 2004
                      Köthen, Germany
                      http://www.esug.org

Since 12 years, the European Smalltalk User Group (ESUG) organizes an
International Event that aims at being a live forum on cutting edge
software technologies that attract during a whole week people from both
academia and industry. Every year about half of attendies are engineers
using Smalltalk in business while the rest of attendies are students and
teachers using Smalltalk for both their research and courses.

As for every year, this year edition of the event wil include the
regular technical program with high quality invited speakers. This year,
we're honored to have Dan Ingalls as a keynote speaker. Besides, we'll
have a reseach track with an excellent program committee, a business day
about Smalltalk successfull use  in the market place, and a technology
awards where prizes will be distributed to authors of best pieces of
Smalltalk related software. Of course, we plan to have as usual, various
informal events : Camp Smalltak, a physics teacher evening, a serie of
introductive tutorials to Smalltalk, ...

THIS  YEAR we are looking for YOUR EXPERIENCE Reports using smalltalk
so please come to tell us more on your experience and projects

Submissions infos
============

Regular technical program
-http://www.esug.org/conferences/twelfthsmalltalkjointevent2004/
regulartechnicalprogram/
-Summary of 1 page max
-Submissions due on 15th of june
-Notification of acceptance on 15th of july

----------------------------------

Reseach Track
-http://www.esug.org/conferences/twelfthsmalltalkjointevent2004/
researchtrack/
-Paper of 15 pages max
-Submissions due on 21 of May 2004
-Notification of acceptance on 1st of july 2004
-Camera ready version due on 21st of july 2004

----------------------------------

Smalltalk Business day experience reports
-http://www.esug.org/conferences/twelfthsmalltalkjointevent2004/
smalltalkbusinessday/
-Summary of 1 page max
-Submissions due on 15th of june
-Notifications on 15th of july

Innovation Technology Awards
-http://www.esug.org/conferences/twelfthsmalltalkjointevent2004/
innovationtechnologyawards/
-3 pages max describing the software + URL to download the software
-Submissions due on 15th of june
-Notifications of elegibility on 15th of july