[ANN] reading and viewing GIS data in ESRI shapefile format

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at rnid.org.uk
Fri Apr 23 16:30:34 UTC 2004

> I just put a small package on SqueakMap, to read and view GIS
> data in ESRI shapefile format (the format used by ESRI's
> ArcView program).
> It adds some basic functionality required to improve Squeak's
> geo-processing abilities, which are currently a bit
> underdeveloped (Squeak could be made into a perfect platform
> for GIS work!).

Fantastic! I've just started investigating/learning about GIS stuff for my
role-playing group's mapping requirements, myself!

What else are you planning on doing, GIS-wise?

For my purposes, I'm going to try bring together Wiki concepts with GIS. I'm
still barely at the requirements gathering stage as yet (detailed on
http://roke.angband.za.org/frank/WikiMapper).

frank