[ANN] reading and viewing GIS data in ESRI shapefile format

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 23 19:53:20 UTC 2004

What a great idea Frank. One application that springs to mind for this
is something I've wanted for years, which is a way to dynamically
illustrate things like the migration of peoples across the world, the
motion of the continents, the spread of ideas, diseases, religions -
the major movements of history.

I have this, probably naive, theory that a really good educational tool about
the movement of people across the world might actually convince folk that we're
all closely enough related that racial & ethnic prejudice is just plain silly.

Imagine a way to select the topic and a big Time slider; just scroll up
and down history to watch how 'x' started, spread, retreated, reformed
etc. Zoom in to connect to historical works, pictures, movies and so on.
James Burke eat your heart out! Hmm, in fact, get James involved. I bet
somebody on the list knows him well enough to talk about the idea - I
only went to the same school as him.

tim
Useful random insult:- Guillotining him would make only an aesthetic difference.