Smalltalk Solutions accomodation?

Peter van Rooijen peter at vanrooijen.com
Fri Apr 23 22:55:33 UTC 2004

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Jon Hylands <jon at huv.com> wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:01:26 -0700, Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Has anyone that is going to STS found any good deals on accomodation?
>>
>>Ned mentioned to me the Queen Anne ($35/night, at least via Priceline).
>
> The question now is how to use priceline from canada - the credit card
> details page I get is utterly US centric. priceline.ca is a lame site
> that merely points to other sites. Any ideas?

Tim,

I've used Priceline from Europe without any problems.

To get around the US-address centricity you basically massage your
address info in such a way that the system will accept it, and that if
the info is printed on a letter, it would actually arrive at the place
where you live because the people at the postal services can make sense
of it.

The address info isn't really required for most transactions. But should
something exceptional happen and Priceline needs to send you a letter,
it's nice if it actually will arrive at your place :-).

Contact me offline if you want more specific instructions and/or tips
for bidding on Priceline. Always remember that part of the essence of
Priceline is that you bid for a quality level in an area ("zone"), not
for a specific hotel, so there is no guarantee of getting a particular
hotel. Also, you bid for a room that will accomodate two people, but the
beds-configuration is up to the hotel. So if one king bed is not an
acceptable option, this is something to keep in  mind. Of course many
hotels will be happy to accomodate your preferences if they can, but you
will only find out if they will after you have booked, and paid.

Cheers,

Peter