[ENH] 2x faster SocketStream uploads ( [er][et][sm][cd] Works better than advertised, but should not change method category. )

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 24 15:03:48 UTC 2004

Provides substantial performance improvement, especially for large
uploads. However, the change set moves the #upToAll: method to
category "*A-articleDB", and I think that it should be left in its
original "stream in" category.

For uploading a 2MB text file in a Seaside application, total upload
time (including displaying uploaded file in browser) was about five
minutes before the change, reduced to 45 seconds after applying the
change, so the upload was about 6.6 times faster in this test
(probably better actually, since my test included display time).

I compared the contents of the uploaded file (WAFile>>contents) to
the original file on disk, and they compared identically, so the
complete file had been uploaded without error.

Dave