Zero-width characters in 3.7 (and maybe earlier)

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Fri Apr 30 07:59:03 UTC 2004

Folks -

I just finished a sparring session with Unix during which I found it really frustrating not to be able to see or select linefeeds, since they have zero width in the default font.  Back in the old days I remember writing a big do-it which ran around and ensured that all the default fonts had widths of at least 1 for their undefined glyphs.

My question is:  Was this a good thing and no one has had the time yet to do it for the new fonts?
If so I might be willing to perform this enhancement again.
If not,  I'm curious why (just point me at the archives if it has all been hashed over before).

Thanks
	- Dan