[ANN] Preview of Squeak interface to wxWidgets

Rob Gayvert rtg at rochester.rr.com
Fri Apr 30 23:33:32 UTC 2004

Steven Swerling wrote:

> Will it be possible to have a morphic pane run in a wxWindow, or will
> applications be limited to wx widgets?

I certainly hope to have a WxMorphicPanel, but I don't know enough about
the internals of Morphic to say how it would work. I'll probably need
some help on this one.

> If morphic panes are possible,
> that would seem to be a reasonable solution to having multiple OS
> windows. Other applications also leap to mind.

It's a bit of overkill if you just want more OS windows (a couple hundred
classes and several thousand methods), but if you can use some extra
features that wxWidgets provides, then sure.

> I could not make it crash -- how stable do you feel this is?

That's good to hear. The only serious stability issue I've had is in
getting the callback mechanism right. For the samples I have implemented
so far, it's looking good. The wxWidgets library itself is quite solid.

> Have you encountered any problems
> that have you worried because they may be hard to solve?

Callbacks were tricky, and still need more work.  Also, maintaining a
mapping between wx C++ objects and their Squeak counterparts required
some effort. For example, when a window is closed, you need to remove
all of the Squeak objects which correspond to widgets in the window,
without duplicating the window object containment hierarchy in Squeak.
I discovered how wxPython handles this, and implemented something
similar. Other than these two issues, everything has been fairly
routine.

> The wxSqueak.exe file is about a meg larger than squeak.exe -- did you
link
> wxWidgets right into the squeak.exe file? If so, are there any licensing
> issues to worry about, or would you guess that it's kosher?

Yes, the posted files have the wxWidgets library linked statically. The
wxWidgets license is quite liberal, so I can't see anything to worry about:

"The wxWidgets 2 licence is essentially the L-GPL (Library General Public
Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in binary form may
be distributed on the user's own terms. This is a solution that satisfies
those who wish to produce GPL'ed software using wxWidgets, and also those
producing proprietary software."

> I hope you will update your page to include your plans and priorities.

Good idea. My top priorities right now are to (a) construct an equivalent
Mac OS X VM; and (b) complete the wrapper code generation. Beyond that,
I have a long list of things to do, but in no particular order yet.

Thanks for the comments!

.. Rob