The future of SM...

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sun Aug 1 20:56:34 UTC 2004

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

> lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:

>> Testing and unstable are different
>>universes in Debian, and they should not be mixed.  In fact, the Debian
>

> What do you mean should not be mixed? I think that is up to the user.
>

>>tools do *not* mix them unless you go hack the files manually or unless
>>you circumvent the main tools.  SqueakMap, on the other hand, has
>

> That is wrong AFAIK. I used Galeon from unstable when running testing.
> Don't recall all the details on pinning etc, but mixing sure is doable.

One remark regaring mixing: I think it is possible to mix.

But in this case, the 'measurement' of compatibility (needed for the
DepS system in my mind) between different packages (requires, conflicts)
and between different package releases of one package ('compatibility
code' in recent terminology) is more work for the maintainers.
E.g. they had to give some hints about how compatible a package from one
universe is in the other one, in *addition* to the normal hints about
how compatible it is in just one.

So it is good, that there are ideas for other mechanisms, too, *not*
needing the compatibility 'measurement' at all (configuration and
anti-configuration).

Greetings
Stephan