Squeak 3.8 status

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Mon Aug 2 15:26:20 UTC 2004

lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:

> My favorite direction to go in would be to put reasonable people in
> charge of various parts of Squeak, as we have already begun to do so.
> And if some part of Squeak is too obscure for anyone to volunteer as the
> maintainer of it, we shouldn't lose too much sleep that it is not being
> maintained.  Once maintainers are in place, we can trust those guys to
> do the right thing most of the time and not subject them to lots of
> cross examination on every little change.

Do you mean having different people issuing updates for diffrent parts
of Squeak in the update stream ? Or splitting the image up and maintain
packages seperatly onSqueak Source and then pull them together
using Squeak Map.
I can understand that Doug have a heavy responability and workload
and maybe his role could be maintained by a group of people.

> If there is a problem with getting people to volunteer, then perhaps the
> first person to post a fix to a new area should get a chance to become
> the maintainer for that part.  After all, they new enough to fix
> something, so they have to be a reasonable choice.

Or this will scare people away from fixing because they get the
responsability for some buggy old stuff ;-)
But I guess since they fixed it they want to use it...

> Anyway, to make this approach work really well, BFAV would need to have
> tags for which part of the system a bug report is associated with, and
> it should be possible for people to reassign those tags.  Alternatively,
> of course, we could use any existing off-the-shelf bug tracker; all of
> the ones I've seen have this functionality.  Even email might work
> better, honestly, if we also had a swiki page listing the points of
> contact for each portion of the system.

There is always room for improvments. But some decitions have to be made.
Should we split the image into packages? When is this going to happen ?
How is packages maintained? Who maintain them ?

> At any rate, let's please back off from trying to recruit more people to
> get out of the car and push.  Let's focus on getting the engine started.

Yup.

Karl