[UPDATES] 5 for Squeak3.7gamma

dway at mailcan.com dway at mailcan.com
Tue Aug 3 07:25:43 UTC 2004

These are the last updates before I put out a gamma candidate image
tomorrow.  A couple of important fixes from Ned, and some pre-release
related updates from me.  One of these tweaks the window titlebar font
to be non-bold if it is a TrueType font, since all of the TT fonts are
considerably thicker/wider than the non TT fonts... way too wide when
bold, as people have complained.  (We could revert this in the future if
we come across some good skinny TT fonts.)

To create the gamma candidate, I'll execute the new
SmalltalkImage>>prepareReleaseImage method, which performs various
cleanups.  (Be sure to look at this method to see if I've left anything
out or done anything harmful.  There's a bit of redundancy in there but
that should be okay.)  Then I'll run a script to regenerate the window
titlebars to clean those up.  I'll also add a "New in 3.7" section to
the Welcome window, summarizing the new features in 3.7.  That will be
it for 3.7-basic.  Full is still a bit up in the air as to what the
image will look like, but if all else fails we can just load in the Full
packages which are working and call it Full.

In SmalltalkImage>>prepareReleaseImage, these were the only possibly
questionable things which I left in from the longer scripts which
Michael had created:

	ScriptingSystem deletePrivateGraphics.  "?"
	References keys do:[:k| References removeKey: k].  "?"
	Smalltalk forgetDoIts.  "?"
	Smalltalk flushClassNameCache.  "?"

There could still possibly be an update or two for gamma after the
candidate is released, but hopefully there will be none.  We could shoot
for this weekend for 3.7 final if things look okay.

- Doug

------------------------------

5979NewParagraphComposeFix-nk -- Ned Konz -- 23 June 2004
We have had the problem in the past with broken text morphs being
distributed in the image.
This change set adds a guard in NewParagraph to avoid the problems
caused by the (uncommon) case of a paragraph with inconsistent state.

5980TTCFontSizeRepair-nk -- Ned Konz -- 18 July 2004
The changes to the TTCFonts done in CS 5923PSPointSizeFix-nk didn't
clear out the derivative fonts cache.
This left some fonts with a discrepancy between the size of the regular
and bold derivatives.
Where this is noticeable is where you had a default font (perhaps the
window title font or the etoys font) set to a TTCFont (like
ComicSansMS).
This CS forces the TTCFonts with bad derivative sizes to rebuild
themselves.
This fixes a problem with the distribution image and also makes the old
windows look better. It cures the problem that we've seen with bad flap
and window title bar layout with some TTCFonts.
Then it does what it can to update all the users of those fonts.
As a side effect, it updates the buttons of old windows like the ones in
the distribution image.
It also fixes AbstractFont>>textStyle to always answer a TextStyle, even
if we have to create a new one. This avoids problems with some users of
#textStyle.

5981UndeclaredCleanup-dew -- Doug Way -- 22 July 2004
Delete 4 unused methods which reference nonexistent instance variables.
(They would have been removed already except that the SM installer
depended on Monticello (which is not part of the basic image yet in 3.7)
to correctly delete old methods.)"

5982SysWinInitLabelArea-dew -- Doug Way -- 29 July 2004
Simple cut & paste refactoring which splits out an initializeLabelArea
method called from SystemWindow>>initialze.  This makes regenerating
label areas (titlebars) on existing windows (e.g. for the gamma image
preparation) doable.
Also fixes centering of label in the titlebar, and only uses bold with
non-TT fonts for the window title (since the bold TT fonts are quite a
bit thicker/wider than bold strikefonts)."

5983PrepareReleaseImage-dew -- Doug Way -- 1 August 2004
Adds SmalltalkImage>>prepareReleaseImage which can be executed to
perform various cleanups in preparation for a gamma candidate release
image."

<This automated message brought to you by the UpdateIncorporationTool.>
<See the UpdateIncorporationTool package on SqueakMap for details.>