Morphic, I still don't get it...

Lyndon Tremblay humasect at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 3 16:45:03 UTC 2004

I'll reply to myself here, as it was prematurely sent.

> Why stop at a GUI builder? why not go for a full application/object
builder?
> Squeak itself is already this. Having a GUI builder seems somewhat like
> having a chair on a bench... perhaps this can still be desireable, though.
>
> Why not say something like... Squeak's factory interface objects are "not
> good"?
> "Not visually pleasing or consistant enough"? Etc.
>
> Atomically, consistance/standardism here consists of sharing the same
class
> and class heirarchy. Ie. if it is a Morph and also a BasicButton, it can
be
> considered a standard button "widget". Though BasicButton is only a
template
> or convenience wrapper for a predefined definition of a Morphic state
> representing a basic button; enough to draw, show clicks, carry out
itself.

As long as media(external) and memory(internal) technology remain seperate,
their interfaces and representation always will as well. The class library
is an
interface to memory; concerning objects, functionality, and comfortable
concepts
and ideas for working with it. Age and maturity has neared this basic
Smalltalk
core foundation to a state where it is difficult to "make better" - near
perfection,
to where itself and its dependants (implementors, users, inspirators) are
concerned.

The class library for visual representation is imperfect, and perhaps always
will be.
The guts of this is memory and data. When the distance between visual and
nonvisual
representations actually shortens, as is the case especially with Morphic -
you can
start considering changes like "what to name a variable or method" as "what
color
to choose, what line thickness to choose"...

--Lyndon

> From: "Noury Bouraqadi" <bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr>
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> >
> > >Everyone, be aware that there are also "rubber stamps" available; they
> > >simply aren't in the main image.  Check out things like Bob's UI,
Prefab,