Squeak 3.8 status

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 4 09:55:32 UTC 2004

Am 01.08.2004 um 22:52 schrieb lex at cc.gatech.edu:

> To show what I am talking about, let me give you a quick story.  I
> received an email a couple of days ago asking that I resubmit a FIX and
> this time include a test case.  Actually, the post did include a test
> case; it simply wasn't in SUnit form.  When I tried to write one, I
> noticed that the code was no longer broken!  It turns out that someone
> else had fixed it, this time with a SUnit test, and had their fix
> included.
>
> What do we see from this example?

You can clearly see that I did too much harvesting last week. It was no
example
of burocracy, just my fault.

> My favorite direction to go in would be to put reasonable people in
> charge of various parts of Squeak, as we have already begun to do so.
> And if some part of Squeak is too obscure for anyone to volunteer as
> the
> maintainer of it, we shouldn't lose too much sleep that it is not being
> maintained.  Once maintainers are in place, we can trust those guys to
> do the right thing most of the time and not subject them to lots of
> cross examination on every little change.

I'm completely with you on this. We need categories in BFAV to sort
stuff acording
to which part of the sytem they are meant for, an we need people take
responsibility
for parts of the system.

     Marcus