Squeak for teaching mathematics at high school / collage

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Wed Aug 4 12:42:14 UTC 2004

Christian wrote:

> I am writing my main subject in informatics at the University of
> Oslo/Norway.
>>From time to time I have been stand-in teacher in mathematics at high school
> myself.
>
> My treatise has the subject interactive use of computer as aid in
> education/teaching mathematics (in high school). I want to look at Squeak,
> and try to find out to what extent it could be suitable for use in
> mathematics in high school (in Norway the sixth forms of comprehensive
> school/collage)
>
> I apply to the Squeak mailing list for advice and information:
> Has anyone used Squeak for teaching mathematics at high school / collage?
> (Arranged their lessons in mathematics with Squeak in mind)
>
> One interesting question for me to discuss is also whether Squeak not only
> could be useful to learn mathematics in general (as for example to
> understand many phenomena in nature), but also to look at possible concrete
> use for syllabus of mathematics in high school / collage.
>
> If someone has experience here: Is there any subject in mathematics that are
> more easily consistent/compatible with Squeak ?
> Maybe in calculation of probability?

You can look at the MathMorph work here :
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/480
I think it doesn't work with recent version of Squeak but could give it
a try.

--                                                         oooo
Serge Stinckwich                                         OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##