new m17n built

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Wed Aug 4 16:29:48 UTC 2004

Hello

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   Alex,
>

>>TTCFontReader encodingTag: Latin1Environment leadingChar.
>>TTCFontSet newTextStyleFromTTFile: 'C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\arial.TTF'.
>>s := (MultiCharacter leadingChar: 1 code: 16r107) asString.
>>Display getCanvas drawString: s at: 120 at 120 font:((TextStyle named:
'MultiArial') fontOfSize: 36) color: Color black.

>>Now that's fun! HOORAY! :)
>

>   encoding tag "1" is reserved for backward compatibility for old
> version of Japanese Squeak.  The right thing is to have one entry in
> fontArray of TTCFontSet for Arial for now (until Arabic or Russian is
> officially supported) and create a character with
>
>   MultiCharacter leadingChar: 0 code: 16r107.
>
> (#leadingChar:code: should be at Character.)

I filed in the huge m17n release of today
http://impara.de/drop/m17n/install-m17n-503.zip

and I tried the same thing with the font 'Lucida Sans Unicode' and it
worked successfully as well  ;-)

TTCFontReader encodingTag: Latin1Environment leadingChar.
TTCFontSet newTextStyleFromTTFile: 'C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\L_10646.TTF'.
s := (MultiCharacter leadingChar: 1 code: 16r107) asString.
Display getCanvas drawString: s at: 240 at 120 font:((TextStyle named:
'MultiLucidaSansUnicode') fontOfSize: 36) color: Color black.

Then I tried to do a character map

Display restoreAfter:
[strFnt _ (TextConstants at: #MultiLucidaSansUnicode) fontOfSize: 30.
 f _ Form extent: 500 at 900.

 0 to: 16r2A do: [:i | i hex displayOn: f at: 10@(20*i).
  0 to: 16rF do: [:j | ccode _ 16*i+j .
      s_(MultiCharacter leadingChar:1 code: ccode) asString.
      f getCanvas drawString: s at: ((20*j+50)@(20*i)) font: strFnt color:
Color black]
].
f displayAt: 20 at 40.
GIFReadWriter putForm:  f onFileNamed: 'chartable.gif'].

The character map did show the characters correctly but they are
not nicely drawn.

I am using the VM
"3.6.1. Tea 1.9 VM (release) Nov 2 2003"

Is there a newer VM with a different font plugin I should use?
And I have the impression that the font size is not correct as well.

Thank you, Yoshiki and Michael for your work. This is great that
Unicode now gets included in Squeak 3.8a.

Hannes