What's new in 3.7

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Thu Aug 5 19:48:47 UTC 2004

This is my first-cut summary of the major new items in 3.7, which I was
going to include in the "Welcome to Squeak" window, after the first
section.  Let me know if I've left anything important out, or if
corrections/improvements are needed.  This list is based somewhat on
the "ToDo for 3.7alpha" swiki page.

Actually, one item from that page was "Array2D", which was listed as
already being included in 3.7.  Is it really in 3.7?  If so, is it the
name of a class?  I don't see a class by that name in 3.7.

I'm putting this in the 3.7gamma candidate tonight, and then
corrections can go in the 3.7final image (~early next week).

- Doug

---------------------------------------
     * Version 2 of SqueakMap, a major upgrade which supports multiple
releases for packages, user accounts and much more.
     * Babel, a framework for supporting language translations in the
UI. (e.g. French, Swedish, etc.)
     * SmaCC, the Smalltalk Compiler Compiler deployment runtime from
John Brant.  The SmaCC development tool lets you define a
parser/compiler.
     * Some packages removed and placed on SqueakMap, including the XML
parser and IRC.
     * The Accufonts bitmap font set.  This means the original Apple
NewYork font has been removed, to help clean up the Squeak-L licensing
issue regarding fonts.
     * BitstreamVeraFonts, a set of free TrueType/antialiased fonts.
     * Chronology package. This contains ANSI DateTime, refactored Date
and Time classes.
     * The remaining ANSI compatibility methods.  Squeak now includes
all of the major ANSI compatibility changes.
     * A Change Notification framework from the KCP team at Berne.  This
sends consistent notification messages when code changes happen in the
system.
     * Latest updates from the SqueakLand/Etoys world.
     * An enhanced look and feel including menu icons, gradient
scrollbars and window titlebar buttons, etc.
     * Horizontal scrollbars now supported in all scrollable text/list
panes, and very large lists now supported with LargeLists.
     * Class comments immediately visible in Browsers when a new class
is viewed.
     * The usual numerous small enhancements and fixes.