Questions on Squeak's threading architecture -- why can't Squeak do SMP yet?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Aug 5 20:18:06 UTC 2004

On Thursday 05 August 2004 15:43, Reinout Heeck wrote:
> You may want to look into the Merlin runtime for Self.

Thanks for mentioning this - now I am forced to add some details ;-).
The paper you cited is rather old, so interested people might want to
look at the tinySelf 1 effort in
http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/tiny.html#rel1

I got sidetracked by other things and never did finish debugging this so
that full applications could be tested, but the results for simple
expressions show just how much potential parallelism there is in
Smalltalk.

The project is currently called Neo Smalltalk (software) and Plurion
(hardware) and the focus is on making the best use of a set of slow
processors. The FPGA versions will have between 2 and 6 processors
running at 100MHz and there are three interesting possibilities for
doing custom chip versions which would be larger and faster.

Future compatibility with Squeak is a very high priority goal, but it is
likely that the first efforts in this direction won't make use of
multiple processors.

-- Jecel