[ENH] openBrowser-ls

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 6 18:21:44 UTC 2004

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> Ideally the browserShowsPackagePane preference would somehow modify the
> value in the SystemBrowser registry.  But I don't think that's very
> easy to do within the current preferences system...
>
> Personally, I'd definitely prefer the consistency of having cmd-b do
> the same thing as openBrowser, even if it means losing the nice
> checkbox for browserShowsPackagePane in the short term.

You can still select PackageBrowser as your default browser.  This seems
a logical way to do it if there may be more than 2 browsers available; a
true/false flag only allows two choices.

Actually, my favorite future would be: Browser itself understands this
preference.  Then, *all* of the alternate browsers which subclass from
Browser will be affected by the preference automatically.  I wonder how
much coding that would take?

By the way, you actually can arrange to be informed whenever a
preference changes.  Here's a quick untested example:

	Preferences
		addPreference: #browserShowsPackagePane
		categories: #(browsing)
		default: true
		balloonHelp: 'inifty help string'
		projectLocal: false
		changeInformee: [
			Preferences browserShowsPackagePane
				ifTrue: [ SystemBrowser default: PackageBrowser ]
				ifFalse: [ SystemBrowser default: nil ] ]
		changeSelector: #value

-Lex