Why cann't we re-open a BFAV group? Was:RE: Squeak 3.8 status

Thomas Koenig tomkoenig at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 7 15:18:08 UTC 2004

Does anyone already know why we can't we re-open a BFAV bug report?
At first I'd assumed that it was a "policy" decision, but based on
folks' comments that’s not the case.
My next guess was that it's because we cannot "rewrite an email". I'm
treating the BFAV server side as a black box and so I assume this to be
a given.
Now I'm wondering if reopening posts is a solvable problem on the client
side. I've been experimenting with ways to split and regroup posts from
the client side already.  Regrouping faces similar problems and
potential solutions.  In both cases, if we solve the problem on the
client side it involves duplicating posts.  So if there is something I
can invoke on the server side to update a post that would be helpful.
Any insights about "why we cann't re-open a BFAV post" would be
appreciated.
Tom

Alexander Lazareviæ wrote:
Let me add, that with a fully-fledged bug tracking system we could
easily do things, that are impossible or hard to do with the current bug
fix archive viewer. Some of the things are:

Reliable registry: Using the subject of an email the BFAV guesses if the
email is a new report or an addition to an existing report. This can
fail and in the worst case a report gets assigned to an already closed
report and so just disappears.
Merging: When two different reports describe the same issue it is hard
to merge those just using BFAV. One reporter has to close his report and
resend the same report with the same subject line of the other report.
Reopening: Once a report is closed you can't reopen it with BFAV.
[snip]