Update stream ideas for 3.8 (was Re: Squeak 3.8 status)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Aug 10 22:27:17 UTC 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 2:50 AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Doug Way wrote:
>> (Maybe come up with new names for the "internal" vs. "external"
>> streams, maybe "unstable" vs. "stable"?  Although the regular stream
>> won't really be all that stable...  Maybe "unstable" vs. "regular", I
>> don't know.)
>
> How about "unstable" and "testing"? :)  The image releases can be
> "stable".

That sounds a lot better than my suggestions.  I'll start using those
terms if we go ahead with the two streams.

>> (Something would need to be done with the current known-to-fail
>> tests, either fix or remove them, or categorize them somehow.)
>
> I posted an expected failures enhancement for SUnit a while back...
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-July/
> 063931.html
>
> We've been using it at work for a year now for exactly this kind of
> thing.

Yeah, that would be nice.  Otherwise, currently you'd have to run the
tests before loading your change, see that there are 18 failures (or
whatever it is right now), and then load your change, run the tests
again and verify that there are still 18 failures (and hopefully the
same failures :) ).  With an expected failures enhancement you'd only
have to run the tests once.

- Doug