package universes and filters question

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Tue Aug 10 22:43:21 UTC 2004

Hello Craig,

I think, after your proposal you have *one* *logical* map, *physically*
distributed over multiple submaps connected via some network, building a
graph of nodes being all at one level (no hierarchy).

This sounds more complicated as using a hierarchical graph like
- one logical map at one server, as current;
- one logical map distributed over a tree structure of servers (with
childs all sharing the same parent content), as planned;
- one logical map distributed over a tree structure of servers (like the
former), with *mirrors* for some important nodes (e.g. the top node) for
improving robustness, as making sense IMO.

In such a hierarchy it is always clear, where to look for *all* the
public packages (and their dependencies), seen from the local node;
namely at the immediate parent (or its mirror).

Multiple parents with *different* content (in opposite to mere mirrors)
seems to be more difficult to realize to me than the former variants,
and the complexity of your proposal comes thereafter.

The advantage - to be fair - of such a highly decentralized solution
would be, that it could be very robust against technical or social
failures in large parts (the internet is an example).

The disadvantage would be, that installing some dependency mechanisms
appears very difficult to me in such a scenario, too. For dependencies
there has to be some place (the resolver), where all needed ones are
available at a whole! And not all of them are to be coupled to a certain
package: e.g. conflicts of some configurations may be detected later and
be stored aside the packages. In addition it probably makes sense to
have some control about who is allowed to change the dependencies, which
also seems to be more difficult to reach in a fully decentralized model
than in a hierarchical one.

BTW: The security aspects could/should become more important in the
future for every chosen solution.

Greetings
Stephan

--