Help on Swiki: NetNameResolver

Kamil Kukura kamk at volny.cz
Wed Aug 11 21:37:30 UTC 2004

Jochen F. Rick wrote:

>OK. I've finally been able to see this bug in action. It turns out to be
>a Comanche bug. Apparently, there are times when Comanche does not know
>the remote address. This causes it to send nil, rather than a byte array
>to NetNameResolver. This causes a lock on the semaphore. WEIRD!

Sending nil to which method/argument?

I would guess NetNameResolver needs some revision. According to comment
(jm 9/17/97) in #initialize:

"Note: On the Mac, the name resolver is asynchronous (i.e., Squeak can
do other things while it is working), but can only handle one request at
a time. On other platforms, such as Unix, the resolver is synchronous; a
call to, say, the name lookup primitive will block all Squeak processes
until it returns."

Maybe someone could explain this a more precisely. Also its class
comment mentions LastContact as some kind of network availability check
but it is no more there.

--
Kamil