Replacement shell for Windows?

lex at cc.gatech.edu lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Aug 12 18:27:50 UTC 2004

"Bill Schwab" <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:
I have some C/C++ source code for replacement shells for win2k, and that
might be enough to allow me to solve my problem.  Basically, I need to
"dumb down" some win2k boxes.  The goal is to have the administrator
continue to see the default shell (explorer.exe) but to have end users
get a very different shell that does only a couple of things.

Squeak would be great for building minimal shells.  I don't have a clue
what is already out there, but if you have custom needs, you should have
no trouble whipping stuff up in Squeak.  You'll want to snag OSProcess
in order to actually invoke stuff from the shell.

BTW, it might help to think of "allowing just a portion of the
functionality", instead of "dumbing down what's there".   Start with a
shell that allows nothing and then add one feature at a time that you
desire.

-Lex