Choosing an OS for the Dual athlon...

mds zenporcupinegrind at breathe.com
Fri Aug 13 20:50:23 UTC 2004

Greetings Alan,

I'd agree with Jason that Linux is probably going to remain your best
bet - in terms of scalability, availability, maturity and price, it's
got some definite advantages; the choice thus becomes which
distribution.

Personally, I'm not too partisan when it comes to such matters, with a
background in {Open,Free}BSD and more recently OSX; I've always enjoyed
Slackware as an unassuming and clean distribution, though it seems to
be getting quite complex in later life, having expanded from 1 to 2
install discs. Debian is of course another option, though if you don't
have direct internet access, I get the impression you'll be losing out
by choosing such a communally oriented distro. Perhaps not. ( Lex -
care to interject? ;-) )

Why not the BSDs? Well, from what I gather, scalability is superior
under the Linux kernel; FreeBSD 4.x has the locking problems of yore,
the 5.x branch is messy/klunky; OpenBSD work is nascent; NetBSD is in
FreeBSD 4.x territory from what I gather. And of course, OSX is
somewhat irrelevant for your needs ;-)

And of course, when it comes down to the best affordable environment to
develop Squeak in, you can't really go wrong with Linux.

Hope that helps,
kind regards,
Marc