Choosing an OS for the Dual athlon...

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Aug 13 21:19:15 UTC 2004

Just out of curiousity, why would Windows cost $610? Is that in non-US
funds, or were you talking about buying Windows 2003 Server or something?
You can buy a 1-2 CPU copy of Windows 2000 for like $100 on eBay. Still
money you prolly don't want to spend, but far from being out of reach.
Not that I'm advocating for Windows, but I just don't know why you'd have
to spend $610 on Windows...

And with Linux, there is no reason you have to run a bloted enviornment
like KDE or GNOME.  On my older K6/2 machine I run RedHat 9 with the ion
window manager and that's it.... although on that machine, I spend more
time in Windows 2000 as it is quite a bit more responsive.  Unless I'm on
a hardcore Squeak kick- than I just run Squeak directly on the linux
framebuffer- no X11, no KDE/GNOME, no GTK, nothing but Squeak and the
videocard, and for web browsing run links with the graphical component
compiled in (links -g), which even does tabs!, also displaying on the
framebuffer.

Regards,
Aaron

--
"the profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the path
    of least resistance is what makes a river crooked."   ::  u. utah phillips